We have lived in our house for about three years now and still felt like we didn't fully know some of our neighbors. I was feeling bad that we haven't taken the time to get to know them better so we decided to head up a neighborhood picnic.
My sister had just gone all out on her son's birthday so I was feeling inspired to at least have a theme (but nothing to the extent of her major party planning.) It was mid June, so too early for red, white, and blue so we went for citrus.
A few limes, lemons, oranges, and Martha Steward crafts later we had our decorations. Not much, but just enough to liven things up. We provided yummy battered fried halibut, hamburgers, and hot dogs while the other neighbors brought desserts and side dishes. The halibut was such a hit that no one really wanted anything else except for a few little ones eating the hot dogs. Mark now has the battering and frying process down to a science.
Our little guy was confused by all the people roaming around our yard (about 30 people) but still had a good time. It was really nice to talk and see everyone getting to know each other. I must say that since the party everyone has been much friendlier as they pass by.
Some fun treats to thank everyone for coming and bringing great food. Plus, I got to try out my Silhouette machine to cut out the lemons that I designed!
My neighbor Larissa made these s'more cookies that were to die for. Graham cracker, chocolate chip cookie dough with mini marshmallows, and then a piece of chocolate on top, irresistable!
This little guy lives right next door and is about 2 1/2 months older than Hunter. He and Hunter love to wave at each other from the back decks and yell "HI" and giggle.
Chillin' with dad. We had to constantly pass him back and forth so that he didn't get into too much trouble and each of us could do some socializing.
Perfect sunny weather after several days of rain made for a wonderful night to stand around and chat.
He's in whipped cream heaven!
Our cute neighbor baby A* that I get to watch sometimes. Her parents moved in during the winter and no one even knew until summer came around because the house never even went on the market and cars had always been parked there when it was vacant. Come summer there was a young couple and a baby, who knew! I felt awful but we have become fast friends with them and are making up for not knowing they moved in during the dead of winter.
We had so much fun that I think we have started a summer tradition. It is nice to know your neighbors so you can watch out for each other!
4 comments:
Good for you guys for taking the initiative and throwing a great party. The decorations are very cute!
That is so neat! You've inspired me :D
I am incredibly impressed. Over the top awesome. Sounds like it all came together and turned out wonderfully.
Fun to see some of your updates! The block party looks like it was a hit! I'm not surprised that you wowed the neighbors with your halibut. Yum!
Post a Comment