Thursday, April 29, 2010

What do you do?

What do you do when....
you you have a 3 month old,
get interrupted sleep,
go back to work full time,
and
have a husband who travels for work a lot
you...
decide to train and participate in a triathlon.

This has been my motivation for the last month to get back into shape and my hope is that it is working. I feel good but it has been a lot of work juggling everything. There are about 8 ladies in my ward that are also participating and have been a good motivation. I have not trained with any of them because of my crazy schedule, I had to be more creative than that. So, I got my dad involved.

If you don't know my dad, he goes non-stop. Ever since I was little I have tried to keep up with dad. When I was younger he ran marathons and now he bikes a lot. Camping, hiking, biking are his thing, and he does this all usually on about 2 hours of sleep. He has worked nights for as long as I can remember and can't stand to let the day be wasted, hence the cat naps and lack of sleep. Anyways, when I got this crazy idea to participate in a triathlon (April 30th) I called up dad and said that he was going to be in a triathlon with me and without hesitation he said " good, when is it?" Since that very night we have been on the go for our May 1st event date. Dad and I train while Grandma watches baby Hunter, which she really enjoys. It has worked out perfectly.

I was most afraid of the swimming before I started out. I was a swim team dropout when I was little, but not because I was no good, it was because I didn't like the swim meets. I didn't mind the practices but I didn't like to compete. Getting back in the pool made me realize how grateful I am that I was taught to swim at a young age and I love it. Who knew I could swim 18 laps without stopping, it has felt great.

So here we go, Saturday is the big day. It isn't a major triathlon, it is called a sprint, but for where I am after the last 9 months it is just right.

900 M swimming = 1/2 mile= 18/36 laps (depending on how you count)
5K Run = around 3 miles
10 K Bike ride= around 6 miles

Off we go to Seward tomorrow night. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Michelle S.J. said...

GOOD LUCK Lauren and Dad. I am super homesick right now and am on the verge of tears just thinking about being home. Wish I was there to participate with you.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Ryanne said...

Way to go! You are amazing to be doing all that, Good luck!!

Sam and Carmin said...

Great job, Lauren! Training with your Dad sounds like a great relationship builder. You're awesome at pushing yourself to do what makes you happy!