I ordered some caterpillars for Hunter and Bennett to watch grow and develop. We read books and had replicas to examine as we watched the process unfold (since we didn't touch the real caterpillars or chrysalis). They grew from tiny to large and then began to change even more. We observed each day and were late to an appointment when Hunter discovered one had turned from caterpillar to chrysalis.
After several days they began to hatch! What joy this brought Hunter and Bennett. Lot's of time was spent quietly sitting and watching his butterfly. He was so gentle and sat so still. Big accomplishment for this ball of energy.
Cousin Sean had to come and have a sleepover to see the butterflies in person.
At least an hour was spent watching and quietly holding their little butterflies, being extremely careful not to touch the wings.
Every once and a while they would fly off and we would carefully ease them back on to their finger tips. This was the quietest I have EVER seen these two boys.
Hunter loved it when it crawled up on his arm and took a rest with its beautiful wings open.
Sean liked it when it would hang upside down.
An awesome experiment that we will be doing again because of the awe it inspired in these little guys.
2 comments:
What a great thing to do with your kids. Where did you order the little caterpillar kit? It's great to check in with you. Hope you are staying warm as Fall is upon us! Love, Kate
I'm excited you're doing your yearly blog post ;) You need to blog more so I can keep up with how fast the boys are growing. And Megan's boys, I haven't seen a picture of Sean in forever! I'm glad the butterfly experiment turned out so well. I think things like this are way better then toys and gadgets and the kids love them so much more.
Post a Comment