Monday, September 30, 2013

Snow in September

The look on Bennett's face is exactly how I felt when I saw snow when I woke up on
September 23rd!
Never have I seen snow like this so early. A little termination dust on the mountains but not an inch on the ground.
The saving grace was that it was WET SNOW.  Perfect for making a snowman. This happens soooooo rarely here in Alaska that we took advantage of this sticky snow.
The nose is from a carrot we picked at a farm less than 5 days before the snow. I laughed as we rolled the snow and left a strip of bright green grass that hadn't even begun to die and still needed one last cutting before winter,
All sadness on my part put aside, the snow brought so much joy for Hunter and Bennett. The snow was exactly the thing Hunter wanted. He had to make the snowman and then lots of snow angels. The covered the yard! He even got out a saucer sled we had been using as a "boat pond" and was ready to go sledding.
Fortunately, we get to wait a little longer for enough snow for sledding.

This is when Bennett realized why I had tried multiple times to get him to keep his gloves on. Snow is cold and after about 20 minutes he realized that touching snow meant his hands were going to hurt.
Nothing that a little Hot Chocolate and Apple Cider couldn't cure.

There's our happy boy again.
Hunter was ready for round two, with snow pants this time, and Bennett was ready for a nap.
The bright green and yellow leaves on the tree show just how bizarre this snow was, thankfully the snow is gone and we are back to fall for a few more weeks (fingers crossed).

1 comment:

Sue said...

That's nuts!!! Your boys looked like they really enjoyed it. I love Bennett's blond hair!