Monday, September 6, 2010

Alaska State Fair and some 6 Mile Fun

Welcome to the Alaska State Fair. On Thursday a girlfriend and I with our 3 kids combined went to the fair in Palmer. We looked at the exhibits, watched a ventriloquist, frequented the family "nursing lounge"/ baby changing station, and had a nice time walking around in the sunshine. The produce was amazing as ever to look at, even with a VERY rainy August.


My handsome little guy.


Hunter really wanted a taste of Katie's lollipop. No such luck.



Hunter with the Alaska Record winning pumpkin. It is 1,101 lbs I am amazed that you can grow something that huge in AK.

Hunter was just about the happiest baby at the fair. He was very well behaved and loved smiling at people. He didn't take a nap all day because there was just too much to see. Luckily that is what the ride home is for.


It's a sad day when your 902 lb. pumpkin only gets you third place at the fair!


Huge beans. It made me sad to see all the good produce at the fair since our garden had a sub-par season.



The famous Alaska State Fair Cabbage. This years winner was 93.9 lbs. AMAZING as usual.

Beautiful flowers in the flower exhibit. I love all the bright colors, varieties, and huge blooms.



These poppies made me think of lady bugs. We had beautiful weather for the fair and got corn fritters with honey butter as a treat.


Friday to Saturday Hunter and I went camping with Grandpa and Grandma Slocombe at the 6 mile camp spot. Grandma Slocombe even stayed the night so that she could spend more time with Hunter. We had a gorgeous evening but it unfortunately started to rain and cut our morning short.



Grandma and Hunter mostly hung out in the bug tent. We had hobo dinners and attempted a dutch oven mud cake. It got too hot and burned like everything else I've ever tried to cook in a dutch oven. It was an experiment and I know what we need to do to make it better next time( I did some research on YouTube). It took us a lot of trial and error to get the hobo dinners down to perfection so hopefully with a few more tries we will get better at the dutch oven.



Hunter's sweatshirt was perfect for the occasion.

Happy Camper!

Fall colors are starting at the 6 mile campsite and there is a definite crispness in the air. It makes me sad because summer is almost over and it is getting dark earlier but it also invigorates me because there is something about fall that I just love. And I'm not the only one because hunting season has started for Mark and that always makes him happy... more to follow.

2 comments:

Ben or Sarah said...

Lauren, you are such a great photographer. Good job! helps you have such a good subject.

Sam and Carmin said...

I just caught up on your blog, and had so much fun reading about your adventures. I love all of your photography. And we need to do a playdate now that you're around during the day! Valdez looks gorgeous!