Sunday, October 26, 2008

Cake Decorating

Week 1 Cake: Rainbow

These are some sugar cookies I made to use up all of the extra frosting. Nothing fancy, I just couldn't bear to throw away all of that frosting that took so long to make and extremely messy to clean up after.


I have decided that while Mark is out of town this winter that I am going to try and develop some more talents. Life is already extremely busy but I thought I would throw in a cake class. I am really happy that I did because it has taught me some awesome skills to make cake decorating much more professional and less stressful. They teach you basic skills that add to my creative ideas so now they can turn out closer to what I imagine in my mind. I also know the teacher Carmen (her husband works with Mark) and I think she is wonderful so that makes it even more fun to go and learn from her.


The biggest thing I have learned is the recipe for buttercream frosting that will hold its shape. Other awesome things are how to add a filling into the cake, how to shave off the round part of the cake so that your layers fit nicely together, what the different decorating tips can do, and how to make different frosting consistencies for different projects. I am no where near ready to start my own company, but I think that I could be the official family cake decorator at least. Check out cake number 1 & 2. Most of the class is learning techniques and then the last 30min-hour are for actually decorating the cake. I know that I won't be able to finish it when I get home so I work quickly. This is why they are not perfect but really fun anyways. I will be doing my last cake this coming week learning how to make the roses you often see. I wish I could go on to the next level of class but life is just a bit too busy right now so that will have to wait.


Week 2: Clowns with figure piping

Start of the frosting.

Lots of frosting, but I think it turned out cute. Most people just had one clown sitting on the top but I experimented and had clowns climbing all over. I really liked the final result.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

WOW Lauren! You definately have a talent for cake decorating!! This post reminded me that I still need to return Michelle's train pan! I love the clowns by the way!!

Lindsay said...

WOW!! I LOVE the clowns- those are seriously so cute! You have a very creative mind. Good luck keeping yourself occupied- how much is he going to be gone?

Ryanne said...

Your cakes are awesome! What a fun class. Senneca would love to watch you do that when we're in AK. Can't wait to see you.

Sam and Carmin said...

Lauren, So fun to see your blog--it's been a while since I have looked at it. Now I'll have to keep up with it.

Your cake was one of the best because you gave the clowns so much personality! Let me know when you are ready, and we can do some fondant techniques together.

In the meantime, I need to call you to get the recipe to the amazing sweet potatoes you made! I bought a 10-lb box because I could still taste their yumminess when I was at Costco a few days later!