Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bush Travel

Traveling to Bush Alaska certainly has its unique characteristics. Over the last few weeks I have had the privilege of traveling to Barrow, Kotzebue, McGrath, Fairbanks, and Yakutat. It has been fun, long, tiring, and bleak... all on the same trip. Due to our wonderful Uncle Sam, the federal government funnels huge amount of money into Indian Health Service, Indian Education, local governments, and rural school district projects. When funding for these activities surpases $500,000, a private auditor is contracted to audit their records.

Barrow was a unique and interesting place. It was the most north I have ever been, and I don't expect that I will go further north in my life. It is the northern most point in North America! We were also able to see a resting polar bear on the beach outside of town.

Below are a sampling of picture from some of the communities I have worked in recently.

Enjoy,

-Mark
Typical home in Barrow. Notice the accumulation of 'things' around the building.

A co-worker of mine posing in front of the sleeping polar bear.
Whether they are endangered or not, this one was shot the same afternoon by a local.

A few buildings at Illisagvic College. Notice the pipes that appear to be
emptying into the pond.
The waterfront at Kotzebue. On the left were the two restaurants in town. Both served American/Chinese food. I ate beef/broccoli for dinner three days strait! Yum.
Sokeye Salmon hanging to dry in Kotzebue.The best sight of a week long business trip. Anchorage from the window of Alaska Airlines 737.

No comments: