Monday, July 21, 2008

Rock'in Rafting

This last Saturday I went on a work sponsored rafting trip on the Lion’s Head of the Matanuska River. It was a blast, and I if the recruits who came with us don’t come to work with us, I’m not sure what they are looking for.

The Matanuska River flows between the Matanuska Glacier and a volcanic plug known as the Lion’s Head. This squeezing action creates a 5 mile long canyon of class III – IV rapids followed by 8 more miles of scattered class III rapids.

We had a wonderful time, and thanks to the dry suites we were given, we didn’t freeze to death. Needless to say, water flowing from a glacier isn’t very warm.

Can you see me in the photo? You would think I was at an air-guitar competition... It was that good.



2 comments:

Sue said...

I was able to pick you out before even reading the caption Mark. :)

Sam said...

Hammbone, that looks awesome. I am jealous - maybe I'll see if my bosses want to sponsor a trip like that.