Thursday, June 2, 2011

We love to Tri!

Last year at, 3 months post baby Hunter, my dad and I did a sprint Triathlon. We had exactly 1 month from the day we found out about it to the day that we participated and we started training furiously.  This year we wanted to be more prepared and we got my sister Megan into it too!
This year my goal was more than to "just finish." We started training in January instead of April.  The training wasn't perfect because of trips, illness, etc. but it was MUCH better,  and being 25 pounds lighter didn't hurt either. 
We went to Seward on Friday night and stayed in a hotel.  Hunter didn't love the idea of sleeping in the pack-and-play so he kept waking up but we made it through the night.  I would probably wake up screaming too if I got wedged in the corner too!

We swam first and all did well. I took a minute or so off my time (swimming had been my best event last year) ,andMeg did awesome for her first time, and Dad took over 5 minutes off of his time. The swim was 900 yds which is 36 laps (or 18 if you count up and back as one). It is quite the distance but we all did well and were ready for the rest of the race.
Our cheering squad waiting for us to run by. 
We had a BEAUTIFUL day!  These mountains make it look really cold and snowy but it was perfect.
Here I am running in the pink.  It was actually the first time this year I had run outside and not on a treadmill. I felt good and kept finding people in front of me that I wanted to catch. I wasn't always successful but it kept me pushing myself.
Next, Megan came running by. Waving to her biggest fan, Sean.
Dad wasn't far behind. He had eaten a few too many "sports jellybeans" (suggested by our other sister) and they weren't sitting too well with him but he still did great.
On our way back down the hill.

And on to the bike portion. I had Mark's bike this year, so Megan could ride mine, and I think it helped me go faster.  It has no shocks to absorb all my pedaling but this also meant a bumpy ride when the road turns to gravel.

Mark wasn't near the road at this point because they were chasing boys to go meet us up at the finish line.
This is up the last hill. I was giving it everything I got to pass at least one more person in the last few hundred yards, and I DID! When I got my official time I took about 12 1/2 minutes off my last years time, that's a lot when it comes to racing.  This made all the training feel like it paid off!
Megan just about to cross the finish line.
And Dad, encouraging a lady from my ward, Emily Waters, to push it to the end. 
We did it!  We all finished in good time.
It was really nice to have Mark with me this year. He was a great motivator and photographer.
Sean was very happy to see his mom and also to steal her Gatorade.
And then Grandpa's Gatorade. After all, he had been a great cheerleader.
Our Seward 20th anniversary Pink Cheeks shirts.  Bring it on next year!
Times:


 Reginald Slocombe  
5k Run:37:36
Transition:2:07
10 K Bike: 29:00
Swim: 25:23
Total:1:34:05
(5 minutes faster than last year!)

Lauren Hamm 
Run 28:57
Transition: 1:21
Bike: 27:58
Swim: 16:41
Total: 1:14:56

 Megan Furguson 
Run: 30:40
Transition:1:07
Bike: 32:02
Swim: 17:24
Total: 1:21:12

I felt so lucky to be able to do this with my sister and Dad.  When Megan and I were waiting for Dad on the side of the pool someone asked us if we needed to sign in. We said "no we're just waiting for our Dad, he started after us."   Her response, " I bet not many others can say that, that's really cool"   and I agree!

3 comments:

robinson said...

Way to go!!! I am getting ready for my Tri on July 2nd. Ours is a 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike (half of it off road) and a 5k. I hope I can shave some time off from last year.

Ryanne said...

That is awesome! You are such a great competitor Lauren. I think its so neat you all did it!

Becki Anderson said...

I am so proud of you. I really hope I can do it next year!