Thursday, June 12, 2008

I Love 6 Mile!


Last weekend we went to one of my very favorite camping spots, the East Fork of Six Mile creek. This is exactly one hour south of Anchorage and an old family favorite of the Slocombes. It sits in a valley with gorgeous views on every side. Dad, Mark, Zach (my nephew) and I went down Friday afternoon and claimed our coveted spot. It was a gorgeous 60 degrees and sunny. Soon after Bill, long-time friend of the family, showed up. We were also joined by out good friends Cody and Elena. We ate lots of good food- hobo dinners, smores, hot chocolate, breakfast burritos, and hot dogs- shot a lot of ammunition at wood floating down the river, and really enjoyed being outside in this beautiful state!

Elena and me by the campfire. Sunset around Midnight!

Mark brought his mom's pack raft along for the trip. It is a one man inflatable raft. We drove him up the road a ways and he floated the 2 hours back down to camp. He had a blast! The river really meanders back and forth and even had a bit of white water. The lower part of this river gets up to class 5 rapids, so it was a good thing that he pulled out at our campsite.


Saying Goodbye to Mark

It was also a lot of fun to have Zach along with us. He threw rocks in the river, ate lot's of marshmallows and chocolate, shot the gun, enjoyed using Grandpa's potty in the woods, and spent lot's of time with me lounging on the hammock in the sun while waiting for Uncle Mark to come down the river. WE REALLY LOVE BEING BACK HOME IN ALASKA! Zach shooting the gun after a lesson in aiming and gun saftey from Grandpa.
Bill and Cody Shooting

3 comments:

Sue said...

Holy Hannah! I miss Alaska. Mark is brave but totally a wimp. He didn't want to try the class 5 rapids? hahaha I wouldn't either. Zach is adorable and I can't believe your Dad let him shoot a gun. I miss you!

Kathryn said...

The 6 Mile camp site looks beautiful!! Zach looks so grown up shooting the gun! I can't wait for Seamus to learn!! I also can't wait for next summer!!! Duke and I are going to have a lot of lost camping time to make up for!!!

Lindsay said...

How beautiful! We're loving being home too- I can't believe how gorgeous Alaska is! I'm excited about your blog- I didn't know it existed! Very cool!