We are so happy to be home in Alaska. We got 10 beautiful inches of snow over the last two weeks. Lauren bought cross country skis to be able to learn a new winter sport with Mark. The night they were purchased we took about an hour skiing before the rain began. Rain for the last week has taken almost all of our wonderful snow away. Despite feeling sad about not getting to use the new skis we tried to make the most of the time off we had for Thanksgiving. It was a treat to have Mark home for a week. He was traveling the 3 weeks before Thanksgiving and will be in Bethel, Alaska for the next three weeks.
With Lauren's dad, Reg, we took a relaxing hike up to the Ship Creek Dam. There was a little snow up in the mountains, but not enough for snowshoes even. We enjoyed hiking, talking, and some hot chocolate on Dad's trusty camp stove.
The end of our hike was a cool cable bridge left by the military going across the gorge. It looked scary and I stood on it but only for a picture. It was way to slipery and icy for me, even with Marks harness. I think we will have to come back up in the summer for me to try that. We had fun but all we can do now is PRAY FOR SNOW!!! Until then Mark will just keep checking the weather report 5 or 6 times a day hoping for a change in the weather.
Other news.... Lauren is now the laurals advisor in the ward. It feels a little weird because I feel like I am still a laural. Mark is teaching adult gospel doctrine for the next few weeks before he takes over his real calling of teaching the 16-17 year-old Sunday school. Mark is busy working and learning the tricks of his trade. Lauren is substituting daily. Now that I have established a name for myself in some of the schools I am constantly getting calls to teach for long periods of time and sometimes more than one per day. It is nice to be busy while Mark is away in the vast wilderness of Alaska. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with the Hamm and Slocombe families combined. Good food, family, and relaxation, we couldn't have asked for better day (or a better family.) We only wished we could see more of the family, but there will be holidays in the future for that! Love you all.
1 comment:
Hello, loves!
Your adventures are plentiful! And I am so glad you are a laurels advisor! It suits you, so I bet you are doing fantastic. How exciting that your teaching job starts soon...don't be nervous! You are always so well prepared for everything and the kids will adore you.
Mark...congrats on such a great position! I'm sorry that you have to travel so much, but at least they have you movin' right along!
Happy Holidays to ya...I'm so happy you have had time to chill with Suelina and to be in Alaska with your families. Love you two!
~KJ
Post a Comment